BOC: a site I didn't think existed.

John A. Swartz jswartz at MITRE.ORG
Mon Jun 2 09:23:08 EDT 2003

> sandypearlman.com is an actually functioning website!
>
> didn't know it was around till i typed it in tonight, trying to fend off a
> less than fun David letterman viewing.
>
> jason

According to the website, Pearlman is "Gonzo enough to be played by
Christopher Walken in the infamous Saturday Night Live parody skit of
the making of “The Reaper” (which Pearlman produced for Blue Oyster
Cult). "

While Pearlman was BOC's producer at the time of Reaper, the SNL skit
was not portraying him - rather they were portraying producer Bruce
Dickinson (not to be confused with Iron Maiden's lead singer).

The page has several interesting, and seemingly self-serving
statements.  Here's an interesting one:

" As songwriter he is best known for his association with the Blue
Oyster Cult, with whom he virtually defined the whole Heavy Metal genre,
writing about half of their catalog, culminating in their 1989
conceptual song-cycle, Imaginos: An album, which has, according to
Google, launched 3 new religions and more than 4,500 obsessive “All
About Imaginos” Web Sites. Ironically enough (for a founder of EMusic),
Metallica recently recorded "Astronomy," one of Pearlman's Imaginos
songs, for their notoriously ultra-Napsterized, Garage Inc."

Gee, I wonder if any of the MUSICIANS involved with BOC had anything to
do with it's success...

John