HW : introductions

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Wed Jun 18 20:02:07 EDT 2003

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:57:55 -0400, Eric Siegerman <erics at TELEPRES.COM>
wrote:
>On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 03:28:16PM +0100, M Holmes wrote:
>> The style of techno stuff that they did
>> at Brighton on the previous tour was to me what should be aimed at...
>>
>> Richard and tim might even
>> be able to pull it off with support from one guitar.
>
>Uh huh.  Ideally, of course, the guitar would be played by Dave :-)

Hmm ... two thoughts on that:

It seems to me now that both "rock" people and "techno" people are much
more into freely mixing the genres (and instrumentation) than they were in
the 90's (try a google search on the term "electroclash"), so this might
be a good time for just that (although the currently-trendy stuff is all
done with either [yuck] laptops or cheapo Casios & grooveboxes which
aren't really my style [gimme *real* analog - EMS, Oberheim, ARP, EML,
modulars, blah blah]).

And ... does anyone else here have an opinion on the Hawkwind
(Brock/Davey/Chadwick) track on 'Family Tree' (can't remember the title,
sorry)?  To me, it sounds like a 100% laptop creation (of the "no real
instruments were abused in the recording of this track" variety), and
really doesn't do much for me (I'd prefer IitBotFtbD, and I'm not even
much of a fan of that album).  Maybe a good guitar overdub would turn my
opinion on that one around :^).

>Back on the topic of the thread: I typically use Warrior and It
>Is The Business -- I can never guess which one's going to appeal.

Like someone else said, "horses for courses".  I think the divergence of
opinions of "favorite HW albums" on this list is enough to prove that it
might be a different album for each potential fan.  Still, I'd think that
it would be hard to go wrong with a good compilation of the UA material,
be it 'Roadhawks' (one of the 3 HW albums I bought the day after I first
heard them on the radio!), 'Stasis', Cleopatra's 'Psychedelic
Warlords', 'Sonic Boom Killers', etc.

>I did work with someone in about '89-'90, who was a rabid
>Depeche-Mode fan.  He didn't take to HW at all ... but oddly
>enough, he quite liked Hype.

I can easily believe that.  'Hype' is *totally* a new wave pop album, even
moreso than 'Hawklords/25 Years On'.  (Although I don't quite see a DM
connection since it doesn't have any weepy ballads for depressed, "oh I'm
so misunderstood", 14-year-old girls.)

I had a similar experience when I was listening to the excellent John
Cale / Brian Eno album, 'Wrong Way Up'.  When my flatmate got home, the
first words out of her mouth were, "WHAT are you listening to?  I thought
you hated Depeche Mode!".

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com

P.S. I will be in Germany, based in the Stuttgart area (Degenfeld), july
2nd through 13th, to play some shows with the terminalwasteband;
unfortunately, I don't yet know when or where, but let me know if you'd
like me to keep you posted as I hear about confirmed dates ... which may
not be until I get there!  Completely unconfirmed information can be found
on our bassist's website http://www.barbaramanning.com/tour_dates.html
which may or may not be updated ...