gig review

Nick Lee nick.lee2 at VIRGIN.NET
Wed Jun 25 15:20:37 EDT 2003

While I can't promise to match the prose style of Mr Timpson there I did
promise to write a few words about this most wonderful of weekends.

As Mike pointed out it does seem odd trying to write a review of a
wedding, but here goes...

We arrived Friday evening after a not-too-bad drive with only minor
delays caused by holiday makers flooding into Cornwall.  We quickly
found Arin and Rich sat in the hotel bar/lobby area sorting out some of
the final details for the following day and in a state of calm panic.
Arthur was to perform the ceremony but had to come down from Oxfordshire
the next morning. Was the PA going to be ok?  We had a quiet evening
meeting a few of the other revellers in the hotel's bowling alley/bar
downstairs after a quiet walk to a nearby pub.
Next morning we had a pleasant coastal walk in Newquay town centre
before returning to the hotel to find a few more arrivals - Dave & Kris,
and shortly thereafter some of the road crew with the rest of the band
following.  Having changed we sat outside on the terrace for a drink by
the mini bowlerama and were shortly joined briefly by Dave & Kris who
were checking out the adjoining function room where the band would be
playing that evening.  Dave even managed to persuade the young assistant
to let him have a quick crack at the old tenpins.  Wandering upstairs we
found Jill and Mike who was in need of some sunblock from a chemist.
Taking pity on the poor man's pallid Scottish complexion, a most
leisurely drive to a local apothecary followed.
Shortly after our return the proceedings got underway out on the hotel
terrace in the glorious, if windy, weather.
As reported Arthur presided over the fairly brief and very informal
ceremony, starting with an amusing and informative history of marriage.
Arin and Rich's heartfelt vows followed then we all retreated inside for
drinks followed by some group photos.
After dinner, speeches and cake cutting (someone suggested Dave should
make a speech as it was 'all his fault, after all'!) we all dispersed
until the evening party started.
The set was as Mike listed, and one of the most laid-back performances
I've seen from the band, but not without some great rocking moments.
Dave was seated for some of the gig and looking very comfortable,
suggesting that he might do this more often!  Everyone seemed to be
having a whale of a time (possibly assisted in many cases by the
unmarked bottles of wine mentioned by Mike, courtesy of Julie & Merrick,
most of the band were seen clutching bottles as they left the next day!)
and seeing so many of Rich's relatives bopping away to Assassins of
Allah was a truly memorable sight!  Becky, my girlfriend, a Hawkwind
newbie, really rather enjoyed the show too.  I'm currently trying to
persuade her that she can put Hawkfest before work.
Following the gig was a disco with much chatting and banter, but pretty
much no dancing, until the hotel staff had finally had enough.  Dave led
a few brave souls off on a moonlit walk on the beach while the rest of
us departed to our rooms after a wonderful day.
After breakfast and some fond farewells to those who were leaving Mike,
Jill, Becky and I had a very pleasant lunch in Newquay before they got
their train.  The afternoon was marred a little by the poor weather,
maybe we should have gone to the Eden Project afterall!  After quiet
meal in a very nice restaurant in Newquay we attempted to go to the
advertised Reggae night at a bar round the corner from the hotel.  No
such luck - it was dead as a doornail.
Following breakfast and another lovely coastal walk we set off for home,
basking in the memory of a truly lovely weekend to which this meagre
write-up scarcely does justice.
Thanks once again to Rich and Arin for letting us be part of such a
unique wedding and we wish you all the best in your life together.
A big hello goes out to everybody we met, old friends and new.  Look
forward to seeing you all at Pentrich and/or Hawkfest.