Heaven and Earth / Noddy

Ted Jackson tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Tue Mar 4 09:40:37 EST 2003

On 4 Mar 2003 at 16:07, Henderson Keith wrote:

> > (Obviously this doesn't apply to our American friends, who,
> > not only will they be in church on Sunday morning, will
> > never have heard of Slade.)
>
> > (That was a joke!)
>
> I hope so (2nd part...the first was too obvious)!  Slade *did*
> have a hit single in the USofA (long after their 'prime'),
> something with "Run, run, away" in the chorus ("Chameleon"
> perhaps, tho' not to be confused with the Boy George song).
> And of course, Slade also had great success in the USA under
> their other name "Quiet Riot."  :)

Slade had a much-hyped intro to the US in their prime, and a modicum of success,
albeit nothing like they enjoyed in the UK.  Their early stuff got played on US radio,
c.f. Gudbye to Jane [sp.?] but not a lot...

Grakkl (FAA), who must admit to having seen Quiet Riot...long after
> one Mr. Randy Rhoads had split (and perhaps even perished) and have to
> say that Carlos Carvaso (or whatever his name is) was really a hack
> guitarist (IMHO) let alone having DuBros (sp?) as hack lead singer.
> What a crap band they turned out to be!

Turned out to be?  They always sucked!  How 'bout that bizzare dead squirell
DuBrow used to wear on his head?  Oh, wait, it's a toupée...

> P.S.  Does anybody remember Krokus?  :)  Here in der Schweiz (home of
> America's Cup BTW), they've returned (hasn't *everybody* by now?) to
> seemingly great indifference....

Returned the way they left, then.  Yeah, I remember 'em...

> P.P.S.  In football, I (traditionally) root for Penn State
> Nittany Lions (at the expense of Ohio State Buckeyes, who
> sadly won the last championship...thank goodness I'd left by
> then), but given that this sport is unknown here,

But they DO have a Euro league of US-style football.  Naturally, the krauts like it, but
strangely, so do the Spaniards...

thei