OFF: MP3s, pirates, & all that jazz

Arin Komins akomins at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Wed Mar 5 13:55:44 EST 2003

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, William Duffy wrote:

:Subject: OFF: MP3s, pirates, & all that jazz
:
:Hi there
:
:I was just contemplating over another email I wrote about The Sweet
:re-recording their old material yet again, & got to thinking that, as
:someone living in West Australia, it is almost impossible to find nothing
:but Greatest Hits or Best Of CDs by a vast majority of artists (with the
:exception of the really big names).
:If you go into any shops here, you are very unlikely to find anything by
:Hawkwind, with the exception of maybe 2 CDs in the specialty shops in Perth
:itself. With many others you have no chance, which brings me to my headline.
:No wonder a great deal of people are doing this sort of thing, when it's
:impossible to get the stuff (not being into drugs myself, I bet it's a lot
:easier in WA to get it than a CD by someone like Bill Nelson!).
:
:I just wish more artists could find a way to make this material more easily
:accessable to the fans (and in a legal way too). They could provide some
:means to download all the material, covers, etc., off the net, but through
:some sort of secure server?
:
:Going very slightly off topic again, why do companies that produce software
:sometimes make you charge about the same amount as a PC for an upgrade?
:
:I know this sort of thing has been covered before, but the way things seem
:now, it's becoming easier to get things illegally than it is legally.

I'm a bit confused.

If you already have access to the 'net, and are willing to commit yourself
to online credit card use, surely you can just use an online retailer to
pick up whatever you happen to be looking for?

Cranium from NZ, Andy G from cd services, Gary from Artist Shop all carry
good stuff and they are all available from the 'net.

(not to mention any of the horde of faceless corp. online retailers, like
amazon and friends.)

Arin
(sigh.  who found herself typing "e-tailer" rather than retailer, and got
very very annoyed.)
Arin Komins                                   akomins at uchicago.edu
Manager of Web Systems Architecture
University of Chicago/ENSS/NSIT                 tel: (773)834-4087
1155 E. 60th St. #302B Chicago, IL 60637        fax: (773)702-0559