HW: WOTEOT

Richard Lockwood rich at BEERPOWEREDNOISEFRENZY.CO.UK
Wed Mar 5 20:15:28 EST 2003

Hi guys,

I know a few of you expressed interest in my mate's copy of Warrior.  Just
to let you know he's sold it for forty quid on Amazon.

He's asked me to say thanks for the interest and all that - and if there's
anyone who wanted it just for its musical qualities, he's ripped it out to
MP3.  So, as WOTEOT is deleted, anyone who wants it contact me, and I'll put
you in touch with Sean.

I think this is an aposite moment to discuss MP3s and rips of CDs. (and it
might avoid some shouty matches on the list)

Bear with me on this...

We're all agreed that selling bootlegs is a *bad thing*.

Most of us agree that trading bootlegs is a *good thing*

When we say "bootlegs", we mean "recordings of Hawkwind (or other band - for
now I'll just say Hawkwind, but you know what I'm getting at) which are not
commercially available, but have been recorded by some bloke with a
condenser mic or recorded by bribing the bloke on the sound desk".

(I've just fired up BBC 6 Music (www.bbc.co.uk/6music) and they're
advertising Motorhead!!!!  1am GMT, 6/3/03)

Now, this is an interesting one.  WOTEOT has been released twice, and
deleted twice.  If your mate offered you an MP3 copy of it, on a cheap 18p
CD for the price of a pint - not because it cost him the price of a pint (to
our American Friends - a pint is TWENTY fluid ounces - but that's by the by)
but because he wanted to give you this great music, does that make it
pirated, bootleg or illegal?

I know full well that it's both pirated *AND* illegal, but my point is
this...  (I'm probably not making myself clear here)

If an album is deleted (as WOTEOT is), and you want to hear it, and your
mate owns a copy, is it immoral for him to tape (or CD) it and give you a
copy knowing full well that you're going to keep it?

My view is that if the thing's deleted, then there's no way you could get a
copy that would give the band any profit, so - go for it, with the thought
in the back of your hed that if you ever see that CD with that gorgeous pink
and blue Rodney Matthews cover, then you'll buy it.

So if anyone wants the sounds of WOTEOT (rather than the full package!),
drop me a line and I'll put you in touch with Sean who can provide you with
a copy of Warrior - but not the original any more.

So, now he's sold it, is forty quid for the Dojo version a good price (for
him!)?

Cheers,

Rich.