OFF: New King Crimson CD

William Duffy xl5 at IINET.NET.AU
Wed Mar 5 23:54:00 EST 2003

What I loved about the original sound King Crimson had was the way the could
put a rich diversity into their albums. Using their first album as an
example, you could put 21st Century Schizoid Man on, & annoy anyone within
earshot. You could play I Talk to the Wind, & your mother would love it.
Then there's all the wonderful tracks they did that blended rock, jazz, &
classical music, & the use of instruments like the flute, mellotron, or
violin.

I also loved the tracks where they would build up to a crescendo, then go
quite for a minute or so, with the occasional faint sound being heard, then
back to the music again!

Although I admit I haven't listened to anything they may have done in the
past 10 years, I did buy the first 3 or 4 albums of the reformed band out of
loyalty, but didn't like any of them at all. I never heard any of the things
on those albums that made me like their music in the first place! All I seem
to hear nowadays is mostly American-style fast funky bass guitar & frentic
guitar playing, combined with vocals that sound more like David Byrne than
John Wetton!

I do sincerely hope things have changed again though, but I won't be buying
any albums to find out!

If there are anywhere on the net with excerpts from their current material
that can prove me wrong, then please point me to the address?

William