Fw: HW: WOTEOT

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Mar 6 21:20:25 EST 2003

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 02:47:16 +0300, Alisa <coral at APORT.RU> wrote:

>Good work, Doug!

Just a couple minutes in the archives ... the list archives are an
absolutely INVALUABLE resource.  I use them on (at least) a weekly basis,
and encourage all listmembers to do the same (you can probably find the
answers to many of your questions about Hawkwind and related subjects
there).

>Where is the hatred here? Did I say a word "hate" once?

It's not necessary to use the word to express the sentiment.  I wouldn't
say things like that about somebody I didn't hate!  I might say, "I don't
like this musician's playing", but I would NEVER say, "this musician can't
play," unless I detested the individual.

>All these you quotes are just the facts of the reality.

They are *opinions*, not facts.  That is a *very* important distinction to
recognize in discussion forums like this one.

>But you omitted here that I also often said that my fave song is D-Rider,
>that I like his Sphynx album his ICU work, his 90' recordings. that he
>plays wonderful flute and should play it more instead of sax.

Yes, you're absolutely correct about these.  I should not have
said "unmitigated", since you have, indeed, made mitigating statements such
as those.  But if you like his flute playing, then it seems clear to me
that the statement, "he cannot play" is false (which doesn't really matter,
since the statement is an opinion, not a fact).

>Be more careful with that, Doug, do not take out the words without giving
>the background.

I did give the background - anyone who wanted to view the full context
could follow the links in my message to your original posts.  However, I
believe that most all of the statements I quoted are completely
unambiguous, and their meaning would certainly not be changed by viewing
the context that they were originally stated in.

Thanks for the reasoned reply, it is greatly appreciated.  If you want to
discuss this further, that's fine, but I WILL take it to private email in
that case.

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com

P.S. Thanks to all the listmembers who exercised greater restraint and
maturity than myself in this issue.  And those who didn't ... you're
obviously as much of an asshole as I am!  Welcome to the club!