Off: Hepatitis C

Stephe Lindas lindas1 at ADELPHIA.NET
Mon Mar 10 11:36:14 EST 2003

How old are you? Just curious. My aunt has this too. Probably sharing
needles. Cheers Stephe
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Clark" <tclark at PETRONET.NET>
To: <BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2003 11:13 AM
Subject: Off: Hepatitis C

This has absolutely nothing to do with music, but I though it important to
pass along, and am doing my part to do spread awareness.

Hepatitis C has become a "silent"  epidemic lately, and people of our age
group are mostly affected.  Thought I would use this forum to spread
awareness.   I was shocked to find I have it, and only found out when I went
for a routine phycical and asked for the test because an ex-girlfriend has
it.  I had absolutely no symptoms.

More people than you  realizes has it or knows of someone who does have it.
(People you have heard of include: Dusty Hill (ZZTop), David Crosby, Phil
Lesh, Freddie Fender, Pamela Anderson, Naomi Judd.)

Hepatitis C is a virus that infects the liver, and can  take up to 20-30
years before damage is done or symptoms exhibited.  The virus is transmitted
by blood-to-blood contact such as occurs with a blood transfusion, receiving
a tattoo from a dirty needle, during intranasal cocaine snorting when
sharing razor blades, toothbrushes, even. or when sharing intravenous
needles. There are lots of ways to get it.  The virus can have a prolonged
asymptomatic period for many months to years and can come to attention
through routine screening at the time of blood donation, or when a person
infected with the virus develops symptoms of the disease. The symptoms,
which are fairly nonspecific, include fatigue and joint aches. Occasionally,
the disease is not diagnosed until its end stages at which time liver
failure has ensued.

Testing is NOT a routing part of a physical, and must be asked for
specifically.

Millions of people are walking around with it, who do not even know they
have it.  I was one of them. (felt a bit of fatigue and tiredness all the
time, and did not know why..though I partied too much.)   It can be treated
and actually cured these days.  (Am undergoing treatment now with good
results so far.)

This is not the "disease of the month", but is very real, and I though it
important to pass this along, since it affects our age group the most,
partiers and non-partiers alike.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hepatitis/c/index.htm

Best Regards,

Tom Clark