HW: Cantebury 2001

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Tue Mar 11 16:15:59 EST 2003

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 10:50:39 -0600, Tom Clark <tclark at PETRONET.NET> wrote:
>Just ordered Cantebury 2001..should be arriving soon.
>
>Any reviews of that CD good or bad? Sound quality?

Mine just arrived yesterday, too.

As Bernhard and Stephe have pointed out, it is very, very good!  There are
a few sound quality glitches (near the end of "Levitation", as someone
pointed out last month), but overall the sound quality is excellent
(without any of the "issues" that 'Yule Ritual' had - the bass guitar tone
and overall mix both sound accurate to me).  Lots of crunchy guitar from
Dave, the best I've heard from Huw on the 80's material ("Levitation", "5th
Second Of Forever", "Angels of Death"), and Keith Kniveton's synth work is
*fantastic*.

The closest to complaints I can come up with are that we don't really need
yet another version of "Hassan i Sahba"/"Space is Their" (but we finally
get a *complete* show on a live album, so I'm not complaining!), and that
Arthur Brown doesn't really do very much except improvise some words
for "Silver Machine" (but it sounds like this was not the case on the
recent tour, so I guess we'll have a live album from that one with
considerably more Arthur to look forward to!).  So both are really non-
issues.

Definitely essential for fans of current-day Hawkwind.

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com