OFF: The MTV generation

William Duffy xl5 at IINET.NET.AU
Thu Mar 13 08:40:51 EST 2003

I started getting interested in rock music whe I was in high school back in
the early 70's in NSW, Australia (I'm now at the other side, WA). Back then
the shows on TV that probably introduced me to it, was Saturday morning
music shows. My early interests were bands from the UK glam rock scene, such
as The Sweet, T Rex, Bowie, etc.. After that I started to get into slightly
heavier bands like Uriah Heep & Status Quo, then progressing some more with
Deep Purple. I heard a lot of these bands through the radio here which, back
then was rather progressive. The radio also introduced me to Pink Floyd with
Echoes (I'd heard Pink Floyd before then, but not REALLY heard them!), Queen
(with Queen II played in it's entirety), Tangerine Dream & then, of course,
Hawkwind!!!

The first concert I ever saw was The Glitterband (who are far better without
Gary). The 2nd was the Sweet, then Status Quo. The next, if memory serves me
right, was Deep Purple (with Tommy Bolin on guitar). Others I saw include
Queen, Rainbow (with Dio), Black Sabbath (with Dio), and many, many more.

Being from that era, I never got into anything really from the MTV
Generation (let alone never seeing MTV until recently), as for me a lot of
the music from the 80's onwards (there are exceptions though) never broke
any new grounds, with most of them doing things I've seen done much better
long before then.

William