Deep Purple (was The MTV generation)

Henderson Keith keith.henderson at PSI.CH
Thu Mar 13 11:21:58 EST 2003

Neil asked...

> All this talk about Purple reminds me that I've seen adverts for a 30
> years of DP concert. (Strange as its 34+years?)

1967-2003...36 or 37 really.  "Smoke on the Water" is over 30 alone.
Ah, wait!  Maybe it's 30 years, non-continuously...like 1967-76, and
then 1984-2003.  I bet that's it.

> Anway, does anyone know anything about this ? I think Lynyrd
> Skynrd are supporting, but are there any past DP people or just the
> current line up ?

There are some past DP people *in* the current lineup!  These days,
that doesn't even seem to be required for a band to go on tour!  But
maybe Jon Lord will show up or something.  He 'retired' from DP last
year, but I thought that was because he wasn't into touring any more
now that he's 100 years old and the size of a walrus.  But then it
was just pointed out here that he just went to Australia for a
strange Concerto concert thing.  That apparently was no bloody good.

> Last year there was rumour of reforming MkII 'one last time'.....

Really?  Seems highly improbable, though in five years' time, they'll
prove me wrong.  When they, Black Sabbath, and BOC are all inducted
into the RnRHoF!  (Yeah, right!)

Grakkl (FAA)

P.S.  Y&T is back again!  They're coming to CH soon.  'Rock and Roll's
Gonna Save the World!'  I think Diamond Head is too (again).  And
as already mentioned, Procol Harum minus Trower as well.

P.P.S.  Neil Young's Canadian isn't he?  What the heck was he saying
about 'we' going to bomb people in Iraq then...or are they in on it
too?  Maybe he should sing 'God Bless America' too.  Perhaps a duet
with Celine Dion (or Avril Lavigne if he would rather pull a Carlos
Santana).  :)

P.P.P.S.  On the first page of the "News in Brief" archives at
the Onion, is a very funny umlauts-in-rock parody, with no BOC reference
but at least a Motorhead one.  See here...
http://www.theonion.com/archive/archive_nib.html