OFF More Moorcock - Review of Philip K Dick

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Sun Mar 16 14:35:16 EST 2003

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 20:13:06 -0500, Dr. Technical <hms at ITECHMEDIA.COM>
wrote:
>"A difficult gift...As The Three Stigmata Of Palmer Eldritch is reissued,
>Michael Moorcock finds he has some problems with Philip K Dick"
>http://books.guardian.co.uk/reviews/sciencefiction/0,6121,914290,00.html

Thanks for posting this ... an interesting review.  Moorcock's issues about
the shortcomings of Dick's prose are completely correct IMHO.  But that
doesn't stop me from having enjoyed reading 'The Three Stigmata Of Palmer
Eldritch' far more than I've enjoyed reading any Moorcock novel.  It may
not be great literature, but it *is* the most mind-blowing sci-fi book I've
ever read (and probably my favorite PKD novel).

(I wonder if the tone of the review has anything to do with the fact that
PKD was an utter shithead to the women in his life, a fact not reflected in
his writing.  On the other hand, as Moorcock notes, his writing certainly
does reflect the fact that he was a chronically-paranoid left-leaning
speedfreak!)

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com