The MTV generation (not sorry, long ")

Henderson Keith keith.henderson at PSI.CH
Mon Mar 17 13:11:23 EST 2003

D-rides...

> Henderson Keith writes:[mailto:Keith.Henderson at PSI.CH]
>
> NB: Any similarities between Duran Duran and "music" being entirely
> coincidental.  :)  Although I must have to admit that I've considered
> recently the possibility that indeed the Bee Gees (following the
> reminder presented by the recent death of one of them) and not Duran
> Duran was the worst band in history.  :)  (Not counting Country and
> Rap "music."  And 'serious' techno either.)
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Come on man!
> Duran Duran - better than the Bee Gees?
> There are plenty of bands worse than both of these bands combined.

I have a hard time thinking of any.  I don't think *any* "sound" of
any time in my lifetime was as awful as the "sound" of early-80s
techno-pop-new-wave-rubbish.  'Cept maybe horrid disco-jazz amalgam
of the late 70s, with comically-bad synth effects.  Try a Maynard
Ferguson album from c. 1978 as an example.  Anyway...

> Just turn on any modern rock radio station.....

Why?

> Better yet a rap/hiphop radio station.......

I haven't owned a car since 2001, and even then I almost never
listened to radio....and I haven't turned one on here in CH yet.
>From a ride or two in friends' cars, I've learned that here
they have a text service in car radios that spell out in LED
characters the title & artist of the song on the radio currently
playing.  We also have a boatload of "TeleText" pages on every
TV station too, with all sorts of news, sports, weather, enter-
tainment crap (concert schedules even)...this is actually
really cool.  But my guess is that it would be a waste of time
to try (commercial) radio, anywhere in the world.

<anti-rap-rap deleted for brevity, and for lack of anything
graphic enough for me to respond with...>  :)

> How can you put country in the same category as rap?

Same category?  What are you talking about?  I listen
to neither, that's the only 'categorization' I was making.

> Do you mean to say that a guy w/ as eclectic tastes in music
> as you have, that you don't like even one song by Johnny Cash?

I remember one song, "Boy Named Sue" from when I was perhaps
8.  Prolly wouldn't recognize it now though.

> We are in agreement that the best music in the '80s was METAL.

Well, what I listened to *most* was metal, and perhaps most
of the best music was indeed metal (in a numbers sense), but
then if I listed my top 10 favorite albums from that decade
*now*, I'm not sure what it would include.  Certainly a lot
different than what I thought then, even though most of the
choices would have existed in my collection at the time.  Like
I was saying, I think things have aged differently from that
time.  Whereas 1968-75 music (the best of it anyway) seems never
to "age" whatsoever...suppose that's why it's called "Classic
Rock."

> What the hell's Perry doing these days anyway?
> Waiting for the inevitable Jane's reunion?  Or has he already
> died from heroin overdose?
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> hmmm....
> are you just playing devil's advocate?
>
> Jane's Addiction have a new album about to be released and as
> someone said Lollapalooza is coming back.

OK, I hadn't heard this...

> It bums me out that you would speak so poorly of Perry.

Poorly?  I was only insinuating that after the end of Lolla-
palooza, that he vanished (?) into obscurity.  And I wasn't
even really sure if he hadn't indeed passed on...though my
offhandish remark was just intended as an acknowledgement of
the vast quantity of rockers that have so recently departed
this earth, many by way of poor living habits.  And I think
Perry was indeed a fairly serious heroin user in the past at
least.

So I don't know a bloody thing about Perry's character, or
really care one way or the other about how nice a guy he is.
Anyway, he was a big part of my initial attraction to Janes'
music...he was whiny, which I usually dislike strongly, but
his energy and outlandishness worked with the extremes of the
group as a whole, so...

Oh, and Neil Young...I don't know much at all about him
either...wasn't even *really* sure if my memory of him
being Canadian was accurate.  So I wasn't making any judgement
whatsoever about his comment about the war.  Just the 'we'
part of it...didn't realize that he was a long-time US
resident (or perhaps even naturalized?).  Certainly not
*every* famous Canadian has emigrated to the states!  :)
Pam, Mike Myers, Michael J. Fox, Wayne Gretzky, Alan Thicke
(oh wait, I said *famous*!), the SCTV cast, Avril & Celine...
not *all* of the "talent" has gone 'south' has it? :)

Grakkl (FAA), who in the future will try harder not to make
comments that might be taken multiple ways, lest I offend some
folk with thoughts like, "You know, this whole Elizabeth Smart
thing is an important reminder that out in Utah there are
a lot of weird, dangerous people who travel and preach the gospel,
and think that they'll be protected by covering themselves from
head to toe in white cotton"

:)