HW: the calvert site...needs some infos

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Wed Mar 19 14:07:46 EST 2003

Hello Knut,

Great to have you on board!

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 20:04:45 +0100, kgerwers <kg at THING.DE> wrote:
>hi everybody,
>after a long long silence...
>a lot of response and requests to bring the site back to life
>AND most of all a generous offer by Jerry Kranitz to host the site,
>the spirit of the p/age will -eventually- return.
>I am still in the process of updating the site - adding lots of new
>stuff etc.

That's fantastic news.  I'm definitely looking forward to the update ...

>maybe some of you can help me out with a few infos and/or material:
>
>> this is more of a "fan" question - I've bought all of the
>> original "Weird Tapes" feat. Calvert and have seen that they've now
>> been released on cd as well.
>> is the sound-quality "significantly" better...I mean, do I absolutely
>> got to have those?

I don't have the original cassettes.  The CD reissues do include
a "remastering" credit, but the sound quality is pretty much the same as on
other LP/CD releases which have included the same material (Sonic Assassins
tracks, "Spirit of the Age" from 'F&R vol.2', "Valium Ten", etc.).  I'd say
they're not an *absolute* must if you already have the tapes, but even if
I'd already owned the tapes, I probably would have gotten them anyway,
since they're very good.

>--- and then there were/are (I believe) two releases of Hawkwind live
>material from 1976. are these identical recordings / the same gig?

The two releases are the single-CD 'Thrilling Hawkwind Adventures'
(Griffin), and the double-CD 'Atomhenge 76' (Voiceprint).  They're both
taken from the same gig.

>do those releases feature the same tracks,
>and which one would you recommend?

Definitely 'Atomhenge 76' since it includes the entire set.  The single CD
doesn't contain any tracks not found on 'Atomhenge 76'.

>> another / similar request: what about that "Revenge" release - is the
>> quality exceeding that of the tape that was around (and which I already
>> have)?

I don't have the tape, but I can't imagine that the sound quality is any
rougher than the CD!  So again, not an *essential* purchase if you already
have the tape.

Hope this helps ...

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com