OFF: speaking your mind

Ted Jackson tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Thu Mar 20 12:55:49 EST 2003

On 20 Mar 2003 at 18:35, Jon Jarrett wrote:

> One of the nice things
> about BOC-L has always been that it's got more brains than any Usenet
> forum, and more respect for opinions. We're centred around two bands
> who've done "... questionable things" in their time (_Mirrors_ and
> _Space Bandits_, and royalty cheques all round) so we know they're not
> perfect, we know in too much detail maybe. To maintain blind loyalty
> when things are plainly being done less well than they have been, or,
> indeed, will be (because both bands have been through good patches
> since I signed up to BOC-L and BOC at least are still in one and
> various people whose opinions I respect think Hawkwind is too) is to
> abdicate the use of your brain, and it's because we've got brains
> we're into the music in the first place. It's not just about choosing
> your new infallible figure. That doesn't mean we can't have
> fully-sighted loyalty of course but there has to be room for criticism
> and judgement.

One of the best things about this list.  The members feel free to criticize the bands.
On other lists, you never see one word of criticism.  I love BÖC, but I'll be the forst to
point out when they've had a less-than-great show.  Hell, they're entitled, given
they've played a couple thousand shows over their careers!

Tell you what though, the BOC website is great
> and I've never had any problems with it.

Buck's site is pretty impressive too...

>         BOC appear to be doing everything right except writing new
>         songs

I wonder what their status is with Sanctuary/CMC?  Does this new comp CD indicate
they're finishing their contract?  It is notable that BÖC had a lot of down time [for
them] this winter, so hopefully they're working on some new stuff.  Anyone heard
rumors?

> and having Buck play lead guitar with the Brain Surgeons some gigs, so
> I'll just say, hurray, they're coming over in June and pass on with
> that, with but an eager glance in the direction of the next batch of
> remasters.

Looks like you'll have some good shows too, esp. if they keep up with polishing off
old, rarely played material for the set.  You may have to sacrifice some favorites like
Flaming Telepaths or LDoM, though...

theo