Robert Calvert Documentary in the works

Jerry Kranitz jkranitz at AURAL-INNOVATIONS.COM
Sat Mar 29 06:20:31 EST 2003

I received the following email from a gentleman names Steve Rowlstone who
recently contacted me regarding a film project he is working on and asked me
to spread the word. I've included Steve's email at the end in case you care
to contact him. Here it is:

What we are doing is hoping to produce a documentary and a tribute to Robert
Calvert. We are interviewing as many people as we can who worked with Robert
i.e. Nik Turner, Adrian Shaw, Steve Pond, Simon House and others, as well as
Brian Tawn, Jill Calvert, Pete Pavli, Michael Moorcock, Tommy Grenas, Steve
Sneyd, Fred Reeves, Roger Neville-Neil. We are hoping that we will be able
to produce a documentary that covers all aspects of Robert's output - music,
plays, poetry and books - a lot of which people don't know much about, as
well as trying to provide more of an understanding of the person rather than
the persona.

All of the profits raised from the project have been offered to Jill
Calvert, who wants them donated to a charity that both she and Robert were
in favour of - one of the animal campaign groups I think - I've got it
written down somewhere.

We are also trying to build up a photo-gallery, so obviously we are looking
for any photo's of Robert - either on stage or more personal ones if
possible, as well as audio and video footage of Robert with Hawkwind and
solo. We are building up a large collection of live material and on the
tribute part of the project we are hoping to put out as much of a concert as
possible - just Calvert songs for obvious legal reasons. Although I've not
yet managed to get in touch with Dave Brock, hopefully soon and maybe we'll
be given permission - you never know!

As well as the docu-tribute, there will be a booklet with contributions from
Steve Sneyd, Jill Calvert, Steve Pond, Rod Goodway, Roger N-N, Brian Tawn -
either something written about Robert or recollections and stories that
didn't make there way into the film. I'm hoping to collect lots of peoples
favourite memories and stories - just little snippets so that people who
never met Robert, or ever saw him on stage can begin to see why he is still
such a respected and popular man - a genius who has affected many lives
either directly or indirectly through his music and words.

Steve Rowlstone (sr51 at cant.ac.uk)