Baking Tapes (like that PXR5 "office copy")

Eric Siegerman erics at TELEPRES.COM
Sun Mar 30 02:58:35 EST 2003

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 08:40:51PM -0000, Captain Bl at ck wrote:
> Unfortunately the tape needs to be treated before it can be played properly;
> it leaves a waxy deposit on the heads.
>
> Fahrenheit 110 for 4 hours, apparently. Anybody got an incubator?

And then transfer it!  Wendy Carlos writes, "you can supposedly
do the bake trick again, but after 2-3 times, all bets are off!"

Have you seen these?  Lots of details about the process,
suggestions for a machine to bake them in, how to handle them
afterwards, etc.:
    http://www.wendycarlos.com/newsold.html#baketape
        A chatty intro, but has some details too

    http://www.interlog.com/~erics/baking1.html
        An article describing the process in detail.  (This is
        the "If I knew you were coming I'd have baked a tape!"
        article referenced by the preceding page.)

    http://www.josephson.com/bake_tape.html
        Another detailed article

There's a lot of verbiage in those articles, but a number of
important-sounding details scattered throughout, so it seems to
be worth taking the time to read them thoroughly, and not just
scan.

Caveat: I have no experience with any of this; *everything* I
know about it comes from the pages mentioned above.

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics at telepres.com
|  |  /
A distributed system is one on which I cannot get any work done,
because a machine I have never heard of has crashed.
        - Leslie Lamport