HW: EMI reissues

Steve Litchfield slitchfield at UKONLINE.CO.UK
Thu May 1 06:08:00 EDT 2003

>         Come to that I can't really find Powell on this album either. Is
> it just that he played round King so well I can't separate the kits, or
is
> he just not given enough space in the studio miking, or (heresy) was he
> just not a very distinctive drummer? Yours,

WOTEOT is a very interesting case, drummer-wise. Simon King and Alan
Powell have totally opposite styles (King is fluid, organic, lots of rolls
and fills, Powell is more percussive and sticks mainly to the beat) that I
thought I'd hate the result. But in fact, it all works remarkably well.
They mixed King's hi-hat, etc. too far down in the mix, but that's just
IMHO.

The original Assault/Golden void is still one of the most awesome rock
segments EVER.

If only there was an official digital remaster of this album.