HW: M.Moorcock (or Bob??) IT took me ages!Enjoy?

Alan Linsley alankerren at YAHOO.CO.UK
Fri May 2 15:21:48 EDT 2003

didn't take me all that long -

*Ode To A Time Flower* by Robert Calvert (New Worlds 5, pub.1973)

Your calyx hides a nectary of time
That with my fingers I could pluck as easily
As sounding strings to recite their chime.
And your most exquisite petals melt icily
In my palm.  To hold the flow of moments past
As carefully as I would my last
Few seconds on Earth.  Would that be Crime?
Or if I picked you just to see you turn
To crystalled pearl in my eyes, and learn
How Man is Angel on his way from slime.

Did heedless Eve think twice before she broke
The enjewelled fruit from its brittle stem.
Or the first man to reach out and stroke
The marijuana leaf condemn
Himself for greed when harvesting
And burning such a golden thing.
As this dreaming poet who just then spoke
Of your sacredness, and is now prepared
to do exactly as he first declared
And make of his museful words a joke.

But not quite as easy after all
I find, as my fingers reach to grasp,
Your gleaming head to wrench from its tall
Transparent stalk, they refuse to clasp.
As did Pandora's eager hands hold still
At the thought of the box containing ill.
Or the stoned explorers of Medusa stall
For time, not entered in their log,
Before they dared the petrific fog
That holds them still in its timeless thrall.

********* a nectary of time
That with my fingers I could pluck as easily
As sounding strings to recite their chime.
And your most exquisite petals melt icily
In my palm.  To hold the flow of moments past
As carefully as I would my last
Few seconds on Earth.  Would that be Crime?
Or if I picked you just to see you turn
To crystalled pearl in my eyes, and learn
How man is Angel on his way from slime.

Note the references to (First Landing on) Medusa and the (Hawkwind)
log.  Read by Moorcock (strangely, as Bob was there) at Windsor 1973.

AL
 --- alan day <yadnala at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: > I at m gonna try and do this
accuratly...