HW: some, OFF: much

Andrew Garibaldi Deadearnest at BTOPENWORLD.COM
Thu May 15 14:20:51 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Jarrett" <jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK>
To: <BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2003 6:19 PM
Subject: Re: HW: some, OFF: much

> On Sun, 9 Feb 2003, Henderson Keith wrote:
>
>         <much on food snipped>
>
> > So, with the end of Burg Herzberg and the end of
>         Well, Stephan Forstner has since posted that there *is* to be more
> Farflung activity yet, which is desperately good news to me, but I guess
> it will be a while before we get it, and I'm having great trouble getting
> hold of _When Science Fails_ meanwhile (are you listening Andy G.?).

Yes- I'm here. Sadly, the band decided not to make this a "generally
available" album, although it will now form part of the forthcoming box set
with the revamped first two albums (the first having extra tracks), which we
will be stocking, of course.

>         I personally won't miss Quarkspace or Architectural Metaphor,
> mind, a very odd definition of space-rock or indeed quality to my
> ears. But I recognise this to be an unusual view. Seems very hard to tell
> what Alien Planetscapes are up to either, but I hope they remain active
> because, well, somebody's got to.

Arc Met are still active. They've offered us the chance to manufacture the
new live CD which we are currently considering, Great band, and "Viva"
remains a fine if nearly deleted CD. Quarkspace's metamorphosis into Church
Of Hed has proved interesting so far, if not exactly riveting. As to poor
old Doug Walker, with his health problems (Alien Planetscapes), anyone know
how he is these days? Not heard from Doug in ages.

>         There's always ST37 of course. But Texas is a long way to go to
> get your space-rock. What's Marc Power up to these days, anyone know?

Last ST 37 was total change from previous one which was total change from
previous one, so they're one of the most adventurous ones around right
now,that's for sure. But last more song-based album improves with every
play.

>Don't know any
> of the Hungarian stuff I confess. Where would one ideally start with
> fixing that?

We stock it but it's not exactly ground-breaking, although certainly
enjoyable (Korai Orom that is)

 I speculate that the failure of the Kobenhavn space-rock festival
> to happen has probably killed Soren's will to be doing much about that off
> again, as may anything less than fabulous sales of _Tombola_ which
> considering its almost zero publicity I doubt it's had. Fantastic album
> mind, and quite uncategorisable, but there's certainly space-rock on it,
> and dramatic stuff too.

Has to be said the the album he's issued of all exclusive tracks from the
Scandi-rock bands is just superb, and I'd thoroughly recommend it to
spaceheads everywhere. "Copenhagen Rock" or something like that but we've
got oodlesof it in stock if anyone in the UK fancies a copy - well
recommended.

>         MQB seem to keep touring at least, but no big dates; they also
> seem to get albums out though nothing for a while now. Litmus, well, I
> have little impression of them bar the one performance I've seen and their
> website, but aggressive self-promoters they ain't. Apart from anything
> else I've been trying to get hold of their demos and never had an
> answer. I probably can't be organised enough to get them a gig in Cambrdge
> anyway but they don't know that. New Krel album is, from Andy G.'s
> publicity for it, going to change the shape of the world, but I'll
> see; new Starfield album would also be good. Some hint of what Star Nation
> are doing... Their website seems to have gone. It all seems to be still

It ain't gonna change the world, but I do promise you that the forthcoming
Krel CD will definitely be one of the best CD's you hear this year. As to
Star Nation, Jerry's involved with assorted projects other than that right
now, so maybe that's on hold. The two Starfield releases to date continue to
sell...........can't wait to hear the new one when it's finished (are you
listening Captain!!! - lol)

All good stuff, eh...........
Andy G.