HW: Astoria setlist

Andreas Stuewe Andreas.Stuewe at T-ONLINE.DE
Tue May 27 05:30:22 EDT 2003

Time captains
MotU
Song of the Gremlin
Time and Confusion
Prelude
The Watcher
Out of the Shadows
Chronoglide skyway
Steppenwolf
Paranoia
The Right Stuff
Spirit of the Age
Take me to your Leader
Sun Ray
Assassins of Allah
Assault & Battery
The Golden Void
Where are you now?
        Encore:
Angela Android
Silver Machine

To my ears this gig was so much better than last year´s Walthamstow gig. And
that´s mainly because of Simon´s playing throughout the set. From where I was
standing his violin was clearly audible, and I just love his playing. Nothing
against Tim Blake, he has his own great moments, but Simon added that extra
icing on the cake. I´ve never heard before such mind-blowing versions of Out of
the Shadows and the Right Stuff. And Bernhard, this version of SotA was clearly
the best one ever! The band was really playing tight, everyone was doing his
best, and Arthur´s singing was perfect. Steppenwolf he did in his own unique
style, which is great, not just as a Calvert clone. Ok, the electronic tracks
(Chronoglide + Leader) weren´t my cup of tea, but alright. And Sun Ray was the
highlight of the gig for me, a real new song.

This was my 41st HW gig, and I´d say it ranks among the best 3 gigs of all of
them. Thanks very much for such a great night, Hawkwind et al! And a very
special thanks to Colin Allen (you know what for ;-)

Andreas