HW: NIK: Exeter Part Two

Ian Abrahams mail at ABRAHAMSI.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Sun Nov 2 12:27:49 EST 2003

Exactly one week on from a storming Hawkwind gig at the Phoenix Arts Centre, Exeter and we're back in town again for Nik Turner's Space Ritual.

I don't do more than one or two gigs at most per year - but this last month kicked off with Killing Joke in Bristol a couple of weeks back, the Hawkwind and Nik shows in Exeter - and in the middle of the this week a detour to Plymouth for the Waterboys (a sort of Folk Rock filling for our Space Rock sandwich).

So, you know the form - meet up, get some food, a have a beer etc etc. Unlike last week, there's no Nick Lee - so tonight the "Alien 4" are core members Alan Linsley and Ian Abrahams, with semi-regular Stuart Miller and special guest Chris Purdon (hope I got that right, Chris).

Oh, Space Ritual - for the interested - are Turner, Ollis Senior and Ollis Junior, Slattery, Crimble, Anderson, "John the Ghost" and the rather cute "Angel".

Didn't really know what to expect, having not seen these guys play together before and early signs are little worrying. When we arrived last week, the Phoenix was absolutely buzzing with anticipation and a sell-out crowd. This week at 8pm there are a few people who've popped in for supper and a couple of Hawkwind t-shirts wandering around. I was think it a little sad how poorly in comparision are the attendances for "related" bands, Motorhead aside.

The crowd gets a little better, but honestly not great. Stu guesses it at 150 but I'd think that a little optimistic. Which, as it turns out, is a bit of a shame as Space Ritual are really rather good at what they do. Which is to say, its a Nik Turner spotlight which some fairly competent supporting musicians. And its good to hear a few numbers that I've not heard Hawkwind play live and which they are pretty unlikely to ever include again. Set, roughly, is:

Ghost Dance
Born to Go
Watching the Grass Grow
Sonic Savages
Brainstorm
D-Rider
Time Flight (?)
Orgone Accumulator
Master of the Universe
Ejection
Silver Machine

Might have missed a couple (AL?) but they are all pretty extended jams and filled the evening out nicely. Very authentic feel of what early 70s HW might have been like, complete with a couple of dogs-on-strings wandering around the hall and barking at the wrong moments, like Nik's flute intro to D-Rider (he *can* make more than the discordant blowing that was most of his HW contributions at times - he's actually really very good to listen to) - a number that I particularly enjoyed despite the woofing! Nik had the usual thistle alien head piece and entered for the first number through the crowd - when he did this last time I saw him with HW he had to barge his way through, this time it was more of a gentle wander around.

A cheer for the dancer, she was very entertaining - plenty of costume changes and she was on stage for most of the set.

So, Hawkwind it aint by any stretch - particularly after last weekend's blinder, but on a pulled together basis (Stu asks on the way up how much Nik rehearses - I laugh so much there's nearly a bad accident) I thought these guys pretty proficient and very worth a look. A fun evening, I'd certainly see them again if the chance comes around.

Took the chance to have a quick word with Nik after the show, he seemed pretty happy and on good form.

Ian