HW: Other groups, etc.

Nick Medford nickmedford at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 14 12:32:25 EST 2003

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 20:52:48 -0500, Chuck Rosenberg <Chuckrecs at AOL.COM>
wrote:

> i think I saw a note on the web-site that the Boredoms may play the next
one...if so, don't miss it! I picked up "Vision Creation New Sun" recently,
and it is MIND-fucking-blowing space/kraut-rock

Yes yes! Amazing album. Loose psychedelic jamming but with seriously
pounding rhythms underlying the whole thing- completely irresistible. And
rather more accessible than some of the other Japanese psych that gets
discussed here- I'm sure many people on this list would love it.

They played a big London gig last year (Royal festival hall) which I
missed, and apparently it was incredible- I still haven't forgiven myself.
Especially as I actually met the promoter who told me that he would never
try to bring them back to the UK as the logistics had been a nightmare-
whether this was due to the group's legendary eccentricities, or more
mundane reasons, he wouldn't say.

On the strength of "Vision Creation Newsun" I picked up one of their early
albums, "Chocolate Synthesizer", which has a completely different sound,
ridiculously OTT wacky and incoherent stop-start psych-punk, funny at first
but a bit wearing over a whole album, and nowhere near as good as "VCN".
And that's all I know about them really- I'd be very interested to read
anything else anyone has to say about this band.

Nick