OFF: Monster Magnet activity (was: Re: HW: Updates and Teazers)

Wed Nov 19 08:17:49 EST 2003

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Karen Kusic wrote:

> What *is* up with Monster Magnet?  Anything new in the works?

        Well, I've been trying to learn this myself. If you have a look at
the official site, <http://www.monstermagnet.net> there's very little
information, but if you follow the links through to the Tribute to Monster
Magnet site at <http://www.stonerrock.com/magnet/> there's an interview
from last year where Dave gives more background (and just generally
bombasts to Olympic standard). The summary of that would be: shortly
after the new deal with SPV assuming you knew they had a new deal with
SPV) Dave fired the rhythm section, for not being into it enough,  midway
through last year, and hired on bassist Jim Baglino and a drummer by the
name of Michael Wildwood. At that point there were demos under work for a
new album which was then provisionally entitled _Radiation Day_, and Dave
was also doing a soundtrack for a film about motorcycles by Joseph
Khan called _Torque_, of which one song at least will be on the new
album. That was with some but not all of the MM people, and others
including Tommy Lee ("yes, that Tommy Lee" says Dave).

        Then, European dates appeared, or at least one in London December
7th; and then just yesterday I got a message from Stuart's _Zeitgeist_
newsfeed and on going to look, apparently Dave's fired the new drummer as
well and is looking for a new one, while meanwhile there are more
confirmed dates in the UK and Brussels in February. This is corroborated
by Freak Shop USA, the Tribute site I cite above, but nothing on the
official site as yet. So, they're doing something but we don't really know
what or with whom yet, but have a chance to see soon... Yours,
                                                                Jon

ObCD: The Crazy World of Arthur Brown - _The Crazy World of Arthur Brown_
--
                Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College, London
    jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk/ejarr01 at students.bbk.ac.uk
  "As much as the vision of the blind man improves with the rising sun,
       So too does the intelligence of the fool after good advice."
       (Bishop Theodulf of Orleans, late-eight/early-ninth century)