Right to decide?

Ted Jackson Tjackson at SYR.EDU
Wed Nov 19 13:02:15 EST 2003

>>> paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU 11/19/03 12:22PM >>>
You know Mike, you might actually try *being* on a US university
campus rather than getting your facts vicariously through various
chaps like O'Rourke who strike me as being more about making a living
selling books and promoting themselves than presenting unbiased fact.

And who started out as a liberal.  He knew enough to change horses
when he realized that the conservatives needed somebody to do
their thinking for them, a la Limbaugh, and that he could make a good
buck off them...

Your world-view of US campuses bears no relation to my direct ongoing
experience, nor of anyone I know at other campuses (both as faculty or
student).  And I'm at a university that has acknowledged "campus
diversity issues" and occasional "diversity forums!"

Cheers,

Paul.

Same here, and I'm in the 'yankee' northeast, and at this
University, W enjoys a high approval rating among the spoiled
rich kids who party here...

PS: Actually, here at VT it's been the lefties so far who've been
stopped from speaking by the administration.  We had some "Earth
First!"  speakers at one time refused to speak on campus as invited
speakers by a club, and it was stated that henceforth all speakers
would have to be cleared by the university before being allowed to
speak.  The reason given was it allegedly violated some "promotion of
terrorism" aspect of some gubbins like the Patriot Act (or similar
heavy-handed right-wing legislation currently under effect).  After a
brouhaha (including faculty mass silent protests), the Powers That Be
eventually backed down and removed the vetting requirement.

But it's only conservatives who are being singled out, right?

You said a mouthful!  I suppose it's the lefties that are responsible for
spying on peoples reading habits here at my library, or the lefties who
were responsible for all those new video cameras at just about every
intersection.  It's lucky  for us that there are so many conservatives around
protecting my civil rights, or there's be a camera in my shithouse due to all
the hand-wringing lefties!

If the US is so awash in liberal fright, then why do you suppose that pinhead
idiot in the White House was able to steal the election, and will doubtless be
reelected even if he choses not to campaign?

And how do you suppose that his puppeteer's company got to be the
beneficiary of a cool $87 billion to 'rebuild' Iraq?  What were those idiot
lefties thinking?

theo