Disco '72

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Fri Nov 28 10:46:13 EST 2003

Sebastian Welton writes:

> Just seen on 3sat a repeat of a program from 14.10.1972 from German Tv
> of a program called Disco '72. Starting with Golden Earring through
> Alice Cooper and a bunch of strangely dressed groovy people, the
> announcer then said he was now showing a film of 'The Hawkwind' doing
> 'Silvermachine' (I thought they might look out of place in the studio.)
> There followed a short, they only showed about 1 1/2 minutes of Hawkwind
> live in concert featuring Stacia, Lemmy on bass and vocals, Terry Ollis
> on drums a freaking out Nik Turner. Any ideas on what concert this would
> have been taken from?
>
> http://www.cine4.de/deutschd/disco.html

Sounds like the Top of the Pops video. Usually TotP was mimed in the
studio and the single played. hawkwind refused and so the BBC Outside
Broadcast team went to a Hawkwind gig. TotP then played footage of the
gig with the actual single being played over it.

Our assumption has been that this was the same gig as was broadcast
(Silver Machine and Brainstorm anyway) on the Brian Matthews Show BBC
Transcription Disc (one copy known to us). Thanks to sterling
archaological research by Jill Strobridge concerning Wings' arrests and
Beegees tours referred to on the same disc, we reckon that the gig
recorded was Dunstable 7/7/72.

Of course anyone in the band who actually remembers any of this should
feel free to advise us otherwise.

FoFP