OFF: 100 Greatest Guitarists

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Wed Sep 3 19:13:24 EDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 08:05:58AM -0400, Nick Medford wrote:

=> On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 07:40:03 -0400, Paul Mather <paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU>
=> wrote:
=>
=> >BTW, to illustrate the idiocy of it all, Robert Randolph (#97) doesn't
=> >even play *guitar* (as his primary instrument).  He plays pedal steel,
=> >which is a very different animal.  Bass guitar is closer to guitar
=> >than that, and you don't see any bassists eligible, do you?...
=> >
=> >PS: I really like Robert Randolph, so I'm not knocking on him.
=>
=> I had never even heard of him until I read this list earlier this morning.
=> But by a strange synchronicity I've just seen him on TV- I liked the song
=> (forgotten the title already) a lot- catchy, uplifting, funky... these are
=> not words normally associated with music I like, but funky in that totally
=> un-crap way that one almost never encounters these days. And a blistering
=> pedal steel solo rounding it all off. Nice.

Robert Randolph and the Family Band shared a spot with the Blind Boys
of Alabama on _Austin City Limits_ on PBS recently.  (At least it was
re-screened locally recently.)  Robert Randolph really got the crowd
fired up, and delivered a blistering performance.  Good stuff!!

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa