OFF: 100 Greatest Guitarists

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Wed Sep 3 19:36:48 EDT 2003

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 08:05:58 -0400, Nick Medford <nickmedford at HOTMAIL.COM>
wrote:

>On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 07:40:03 -0400, Paul Mather <paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU>
>wrote:
>
>>BTW, to illustrate the idiocy of it all, Robert Randolph (#97) doesn't
>>even play *guitar* (as his primary instrument).  He plays pedal steel,
>>which is a very different animal.  Bass guitar is closer to guitar
>>than that, and you don't see any bassists eligible, do you?...

Well ... one generally plays chords on both 6-string and steel guitars,
but not on bass, and it's much more common to play 6-string guitar with a
slide than to play a bass with one.  But aside from those, there are more
similarities between guitar and bass than between guitar and steel (pedal
or lap) :^).

>>PS: I really like Robert Randolph, so I'm not knocking on him.
>
>I had never even heard of him until I read this list earlier this morning.
>But by a strange synchronicity I've just seen him on TV- I liked the song
>(forgotten the title already) a lot- catchy, uplifting, funky... these are
>not words normally associated with music I like, but funky in that totally
>un-crap way that one almost never encounters these days. And a blistering
>pedal steel solo rounding it all off. Nice.

And, of course, for some of the most mind-blowing psychedelic steel guitar
you'll ever hear, check out Glen Campbell's (no, not the country singer!)
work with the Misunderstood in the late 60's (obHWconnection: after the
Misunderstood moved from Riverside, CA [former home of a boc-l member
who's been known to do a great radio show] to England, they added
guitarist Tony Hill, who was later in High Tide with Simon House; also,
one of the Misunderstood's best songs was titled "Children Of The Sun", no
relation to the Anderson/Turner number from xISoS).

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com