OFF: 100 Greatest Guitarists

Nick Medford nickmedford at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 4 14:50:58 EDT 2003

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 14:38:25 -0400, Nick Medford <nickmedford at HOTMAIL.COM>
wrote:

>Thanks for that. Although I'm even more confused now, as the album I have
>doesn't seem to be mentioned here. I think it must be the "self-titled"
>one

Nope, I got it completely wrong. Should have Googled first:

"Saucy blues-rockers Juicy Lucy formed in 1969 from the ashes of cult-
favorite garage band the Misunderstood, reuniting vocalist Ray Owen, steel
guitarist Glenn "Ross" Campbell and keyboardist Chris Mercer; with the
additions of guitarist Neil Hubbard, bassist Keith Ellis and drummer Pete
Dobson, the group immediately notched a UK Top 20 hit with their reading of
the Bo Diddley perennial "Who Do You Love," with their self-titled debut LP
falling just shy of the Top 40. Ex-Zoot Money singer Paul Williams,
guitarist Mick Moody and drummer Rod Coombes replaced Owen (who exited for
a solo career), Hubbard and Dobson for 1970's Lie Back and Enjoy It, with
bassist Jim Leverton assuming Ellis' duties for the follow-up, 1971's Get a
Whiff of This One. The constant turnover clearly took its toll on the group
both creatively and commercially, with co-founders Campbell and Mercer both
exiting prior to the fourth Juicy Lucy album, 1972's Pieces, which was
recorded by a makeshift lineup of Williams, Moody, keyboardist Jean Roussal
and the former Blodwyn Pig rhythm section of bassist Andy Pyle and drummer
Ron Berg. Juicy Lucy finally disbanded shortly thereafter. ~ Jason Ankeny,
All Music Guide"

So the one I was talking about is their third. If anyone still cares.

Nick