OFF: Great Bassists (was100 Greatest Guitarists)

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Mon Sep 8 16:07:29 EDT 2003

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 08:30:45 EDT, RMayo19761 at AOL.COM wrote:

>In a message dated 9/6/2003 3:40:39 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>rich at BEERPOWEREDNOISEFRENZY.CO.UK writes:
>
>> Ross The Boss
>
>...is a guitarist!!
>joey demayo: bassist in manowar
>mark mendoza: bassist in dictators

Thanks for the correction, Bob, although it should be noted that Mark just
filled-in on one 'tators album.  The REAL Dictators bassist was, and still
is (as of a month or two ago, when I last saw 'em), Andy/Adny Shernoff,
who *definitely* belongs on the list!  (And is also a fine keyboard
player, which is what he was doing on the Mendoza-bassed Dictators album.
And producer.  And *killer* songwriter.  And stands about 8 feet tall in
his Converse All-Stars.)

I would actually include Paul McCartney on the list for the same reason
I'd include Ade Shaw - both have a flowing, melodic style that's aeons
beyond simple root/fifth pounding, but is never showy or flashy; nimble,
but not speedy.  Unless you pay close attention, both played deceptively-
simple-sounding lines.  I'd even rate McCartney's post-Beatles bass
playing as quite good, even though most of the music sucks (IMHO).

Personally, I have zero interest in bassists I consider showy/flashy.  I
can appreciate the virtuosity of Stanley Clarke, Tony Levin, Billy
Sheehan, Jeff Berlin, Victor Wooton, Jaco, and all the other players they
drool about on 'The Bottom Line' (renowned bass player email list that has
included Berlin [an egotistical asshole], Levin [a super-nice guy], and
Mike Watt [even nicer guy], among its contributors), but their playing
does little to move me, personally (in marked contrast to the two players
I mention in the previous paragraph).  Speaking of Mike Watt, it was very
cool to see him playing in a more-restrained-than-usual manner when
filling in for the late Dave Alexander in the Stooges reunion - if he had
played "to his peak ability", he would have ruined their set, but the few
extra fills and runs he added to Alexander's original lines all fit the
songs perfectly (the Red Hot Chilli Peppers played immediately after them,
and you can add Flea to my list of players that don't do much for me).

But then again, I love Bootsy Collins & Larry Graham, so maybe I'm just a
hypocrite (what else is new?).  And John Entwistle (perhaps because he
*didn't* seem so flashy in contrast to the other half of the classic Who
rhythm section).  And Jack Casady (but not Phil Lesh - great musician;
rotten, or at least inappropriate, bassist, but don't get me started on
the Dead's rhythm, or lack thereof, section).

I'd also second Bob Daisley - if you like psych, but not metal, try to
find the reissue of the Kahvas Jute album (the band he was in circa
1970/71, out on one of those Italian labels like Get Back or Akarma), or
better yet, Mecca's (pre-Kahvas Jute) incredible "Black Sally" 7" ... not
reissued AFAIK, but there's a great cover of the song done by New
Zealand's Human Instinct that is, as the cliche goes, a psychedelic
monster.  For others in the metal arena, I'd definitely agree on Cliff
Burton (not any subsequent Metallica bassists), but not Cliff Williams of
AC/DC (at least not unless you're going to also include Dee Dee Ramone).

I didn't see CAROL KAYE (the bass equivalent to Glen Campbell in that she
played on nearly every hit to come out of LA in the sixties) on the list,
so I'll add her.  I wish I could think of more great female players (if
anyone mentions Kims Gordon or Deal, I will laugh in your face - you may
as well nominate Meg White as a great drummer), but I suppose PATRICIA
Ramirez/Bag/MORRISON should at least be credited for having played in
interesting/diverse bands (Bags, Gun Club, Damned, and those obnoxious
Sisters) and KIRA ROESSLER held her own in Black Flag (and with Watt in
Dos, neither one an easy task, although it sounds like being a female in
Black Flag was as uncomfortable for her as for Bridget in Hawkwind).
STEVE PRIEST of the Sweet (a personal guilty pleasure) was quite good (and
deserves credit for singing tight harmonies while playing fast lines).
TIM ALEE of the Pagans deserves mention for being one of the best bassists
in a 1977-era punk act, as he was very much the melodic drive of that
band.  Victims Family may not be a household name (Bay Area hybrid band
who have had several albums on Alternative Tentacles), but their bassist,
LARRY BOOTHROYD, is outstanding; I was fortunate enough to play with him
in the Devo tribute band Mongoloid recently - probably the best bassist
I've ever worked with, although BARBARA MANNING (Terminalwasteband),
despite being better-known as a singer/songwriter/guitarist, is also quite
accomplished, and an original player (her first band, 28th Day, just had
their album reissued on CD for the second time; sadly, her second band,
the amazing World Of Pooh, remains as out-of-print vinyl).  JIMMY GARRISON
was brilliant in John Coltrane's classic quartet/quintet.  COLIN MOULDING
of XTC is wonderfully-melodic in the McCartney/Shaw vein.  And since I
love the Flamin' Groovies so much (and own his former '68 Rickenbacker),
I'll round out my random-list-of-ten with GEORGE ALEXANDER, who really
kicked the band into high gear on their 'Teenage Head' and 'Flamingo'
albums (more interesting and less derivative than his later, McCartney-
esque playing IMHO).

Anyone have any more to share?

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com