OFF: Great Bassists (was100 Greatest Guitarists)

Ted Jackson Tjackson at SYR.EDU
Tue Sep 9 07:33:09 EDT 2003

>>> jasret at MINDSPRING.COM 09/08/03 04:07PM >>>
On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 08:30:45 EDT, RMayo19761 at AOL.COM wrote:

I would actually include Paul McCartney on the list for the same reason
I'd include Ade Shaw - both have a flowing, melodic style that's aeons
beyond simple root/fifth pounding, but is never showy or flashy; nimble,
but not speedy.  Unless you pay close attention, both played deceptively-
simple-sounding lines.  I'd even rate McCartney's post-Beatles bass
playing as quite good, even though most of the music sucks (IMHO).

We should include McCartney if for no other reason than his influence on
so many other bassists to follow who, admittedly have outdone Sir Paul.
Same can be said of all the soul players like James Jamerson.  They may lack
the flash of modern guys, but without them, the current crop would have
likely taken up another instrument...

Personally, I have zero interest in bassists I consider showy/flashy.  I
can appreciate the virtuosity of Stanley Clarke, Tony Levin, Billy
Sheehan, Jeff Berlin, Victor Wooton, Jaco, and all the other players they
drool about on 'The Bottom Line' (renowned bass player email list that has
included Berlin [an egotistical asshole], Levin [a super-nice guy], and
Mike Watt [even nicer guy], among its contributors), but their playing
does little to move me, personally (in marked contrast to the two players
I mention in the previous paragraph).

I agree with you here.  If a guy wants to be a lead guitarist, then go ahead and
play guitar, but don't play lead guitar on the bass.  Some guys, like Bogert,
can play very busy stuff on bass, but still maintain the bottom end and
continue to drive the song.  Busy guys often work well in a power trio
because there's lots of room for them, c.f the sainted Geddy.  BTW,
does anyone know what Geddy's real name is?

  Speaking of Mike Watt, it was very
cool to see him playing in a more-restrained-than-usual manner when
filling in for the late Dave Alexander in the Stooges reunion - if he had
played "to his peak ability", he would have ruined their set, but the few
extra fills and runs he added to Alexander's original lines all fit the
songs perfectly (the Red Hot Chilli Peppers played immediately after them,
and you can add Flea to my list of players that don't do much for me).

Really?  I think Flea's pretty good.  I don't consider him too busy
most of the time, and he's got his own style...

But then again, I love Bootsy Collins & Larry Graham, so maybe I'm just a
hypocrite (what else is new?).  And John Entwistle (perhaps because he
*didn't* seem so flashy in contrast to the other half of the classic Who
rhythm section).

Right!  Also, Ptet's disdain for lead playing left John a lot of territory
to fill in, so JE's overplaying never bothered me...

I didn't see CAROL KAYE (the bass equivalent to Glen Campbell in that she
played on nearly every hit to come out of LA in the sixties) on the list,
so I'll add her.

Wise choice!

theo