OFF: Great Bassists (was100 Greatest Guitarists)

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Tue Sep 9 11:04:56 EDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 04:07:29PM -0400, Doug Pearson wrote:

=> I would actually include Paul McCartney on the list for the same reason
=> I'd include Ade Shaw - both have a flowing, melodic style that's aeons
=> beyond simple root/fifth pounding, but is never showy or flashy; nimble,
=> but not speedy.  Unless you pay close attention, both played deceptively-
=> simple-sounding lines.

Anyone that has the admiration and respect of both Allen Woody and
Lemmy as a bass player is okay in my book.

Gov't Mule tried to get Sir Paul to play on a track for the _Deep End_
project (on account of him being such a big influence on Woody), but
it never worked out.  (John Paul Jones was the other "big fish" that
slipped away, but he looked a lot closer to working out.)

=> I didn't see CAROL KAYE (the bass equivalent to Glen Campbell in that she
=> played on nearly every hit to come out of LA in the sixties) on the list,
=> so I'll add her.

No kidding!  Anyone that can come up with an archetypal riff like the
"Mission Impossible" TV show theme tune is okay in my book.

A friend once caught an NPR segment on Carol Kaye, which was
fascinating.  It prompted lengthy Web-searching afterwards for more
information.  What an interesting career!

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa