HW: Updates and Teazers

Henderson Keith keith.henderson at PSI.CH
Thu Sep 11 10:47:42 EDT 2003

Andy G. queries...

> Any other bizarre experiences for the sake of great concerts anyone?

Well, maybe not *terribly* bizarre, but...

My first Hawkwind gig was some Sunday night in Toronto (1989), and given
that American companies don't know of the concept of this mythical
thing called "vacation," I *had* to work on Monday.  Which meant leaving
after the gig at 1 AM or so, and driving ~6 hours straight to work in
Cleveland.  That wasn't so bad, but driving home after work probably
wasn't such a safe thing.

Worse though was just a few years ago, when the Legendary Pink Dots
played in Columbus the night before I was going to NEARFest in Bethlehem
PA to see Solaris and Happy the Man (I think it was that year).  So
I refused to miss the Dots (who were worth it certainly), and instead
of sleeping afterwards, I drove straight to NEARFest (maybe 8 or 9
hours drive, maybe even more, I'm not sure) and got there about when
the thing started (around noon).  I tried to sleep between bands but
that didn't really work.  The worse thing was that I was in the balcony,
close to the front row...and while my brain was slipping in and out of
consciousness during one part of the day (can't remember who was playing
then...oh, wait, I think it was Anekdoten...who were quite cool too),
I kept having these weird vertigo attacks like I've never had before.
I really felt like I was going to be pulled out of my seat and thrown
off the balcony.  It was really freaky.  Luckily, I caught a second
wind, and was totally coherent for Happy the Man.  No, maybe iQ was
the headliner...hmmm...they're all starting to run together in my
mind.

And even with these experiences in my past, I still managed to idiotically
schedule my trip to London-Walthamstow last December, such that I had to
leave town in the middle of the night to reach Gatwick at 4 AM in the
morning to fly back to Zuerich.  What the hell was I thinking?

Grakkl (FAA)