Future of music...

Richard Lockwood rich at BEERPOWEREDNOISEFRENZY.CO.UK
Fri Sep 12 03:25:39 EDT 2003

And well said Andy.

However, I don't give two hoots whether the likes of Virgin and HMV go
under, as they've been making *massive* profits out of the likes of me and
you for years.  I *do* care about the independent record shops, who work on
very small margins and start up due to a love of music - let's face it, when
did anyone accuse Branson of being a music fan?

The guys who are guilty of creating this scenario are the major record
labels, who have been raking in the vast majority of the cash from physical
recordings since the invention of the wax cylinder - simply because no-one
else had the technology to do it.  Now people have, they're bleating like
frightened sheep.  Unfortunately, they've created a song / single culture
(top 40 etc), where the (shall we say) less discerning music listener
doesn't see an "album" as a collection of well crafted song which are
designed to fit together, but see it as simply ten or twelve songs.  So
listeners grow up thinking the three (or four) minute song is the
indivisible unit of misic.  Whereas I'd say "No!  The album is the
indivisible unit!" as Keith says.

If EMI etc hadn't brought out all those "The Best Rock Album In The World
Since The Last One!" and "Now That's What I Call Popular Vol 76"
collections, maybe we wouldn't be in this situation.

Just a "I've just woken up and I'm late for work" thought.

:-)

Cheers,

Rich.