Great Bassists and lefties

Henderson Keith keith.henderson at PSI.CH
Fri Sep 12 12:11:31 EDT 2003

William hat gesagt...

> Regarding Paul McCartney, he is probably the first person I spotted
> playing Bass left-handed.

> I was also fond of Roger Waters' Bass playing,

Well, these two bits of dialogue reminded me of the following...
Earlier, I mentioned something about being astounded by seeing
Josh Pollock (of U. of Errors, and now the Acid Mothers-Gong band)
play left-handed with a right-handed guitar flipped over...but
without inverting the strings.  Which to me, who's never really
ever tried to play a guitar (remotely seriously), seemed like a
crazy idea.  But I was told by much more knowledgeable folks here,
that quite a few lefties have learned it this way over the years.

And lo and behold, I got the Roger Waters live DVD not too long
ago (I was pretty impressed...not really liking anything he's done
since The Wall, but then this relied heavily on old Floyd mat'l...
and to put in a HW related comment, Snowy White, who somehow is
part of the Hawkwind family, but I've forgotten how, puts in a
rather tasty solo during 'Set the controls...' among other bits),
and the main lead guitarist was Doyle Bramhall and yep...he plays
the same way!  And really, it looks so unnatural the way he strums
or 'arpeggios' *up* the fretboard, but he does it skillfully and
so I guess it works for him, so who am I to think it's goofy?  :)
Presumably, he learned to play on his dad's guitars (is he a
righty?) and he wouldn't let junior restring them.

Grakkl (FAA)

P.S.  This Amon Duul II (c. 1969) DVD is set to come out in just a
few days, but I'm guessing it will only ever be released as a PAL
Region 2 DVD...so make sure you can play it before ordering.

Does anybody know what program (?) this is...or how long it is?
Or whether it's previously unreleased live music/concert?

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000C42GL/qid=1063381997/
too long, so cut-and-paste the below onto the end in your URL line...
sr=10-2/ref=sr_sp_bow/028-8139034-3282956

P.P.S.  The stuff about bass playing for guitarists who couldn't cut
it?  (did somebody suggest, and/or themselves refute?)  Well, I agree,
as I listen to early Porcupine Tree and hear Steve Wilson play some
really-not-very-good basslines.  Obviously, some separate skills
there...again, this is coming from a "non-participant" so...