OFF: poem - "Market Forces" by Thom the World Poet

Karen Kusic kkusic at EXECPC.COM
Tue Sep 16 00:36:29 EDT 2003

Had to share this poem from Thom the World Poet who I met in Ohio at a
spacerock event a few years ago.  Last week, I was going to buy some
more music CDs (when I have a stack I haven't even listened to yet) and
instead, bought some poetry books and CDs from Thom!  He's one of my
favorite artists too who deserves support for his wonderful work.
http://www.geocities.com/worldpoet_2000/

As someone who has had a glimpse of an 8 track tape but never owned an 8
track player ... what were they like?  Really superior sound?  Did they
go the way of Beta videotapes versus VHS?  Thought this kind of tied
into our discussion of where music/media and the "album" concept was
heading.

Thanks,

Karen

--
MARKET FORCES

us ,compliant ,to buy
only what is available-
bell bottoms,short skirts,tattoes,earrings
to fit in to prevailing fascist fashions
even if we do not want to
that is all there is.
Try buying an 8 track!
Even though the sound is far superior to tape or Cd
They are redundant technology-obsolete
as we who issue moralistic warnings
about the impending collapse of Western civilisation
For many that means only shopping malls
rap mmusic and fashion
until we become more than cartoon hippies
more than consumers-until we can create
and communicate brighter visions
this will be Cassandra's wailing wall
Diogenes with his privitised utilities lamp
seeking in streets something more than Malls
and getting mauled by the rush to Nordstrom.
THOM AUGUST 17,2003