HW:Another HW Book?

Arin Komins akomins at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Mon Sep 29 12:39:11 EDT 2003

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, Eric Siegerman wrote:

:Subject: Re: HW:Another HW Book?
:
:On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 08:49:54AM +0100, Ian Abrahams wrote:
:> [...] my comittment to the
:> people who spared me interview time is that I will self-publish if a
:> publishing company can't be found to take on the project.
:
:Or "do the indie thing".  Sounds so much nicer, doesn't it?
:
:Really, why is it that "indie" bands are considered gutsy and
:enterprising, but "self-published" authors merely desperate?
:
:Let's hear it for independent book publishing!

hrm.

IMHO, self-published authors tend to suffer fairly highly from what I call
"lack of editing" ;-)

I have no problems with independent book publishing, and I support small
publishers whenever I can (and whenever they produce a decent product
;-) ), but I don't think small publishers should publish themselves.

Arin
Arin Komins                                   akomins at uchicago.edu
Manager of Web Systems Architecture
University of Chicago/ENSS/NSIT                 tel: (773)834-4087
1155 E. 60th St. #302B Chicago, IL 60637        fax: (773)702-0559