OFF: was Monster Magnet, now HRGiger

Henderson Keith keith.henderson at PSI.CH
Tue Apr 6 12:10:33 EDT 2004

I said...

>In case anybody gives a crap...I went to visit the HR Giger Museum
>in Gruyeres
>
>For krautrock aficionadoes,
>And HRGiger was also apparently involved with another "Cosmick Courier"
>veteran Sergius Golowin back in those days.  I'll have to read more
>into that in the biog. book I bought there, to see how much he was
>involved in that old movement...I think Golowin worked on the soundtrack
>to a Giger film (that I was unfamiliar with) Necromonicon.

I did look at it more closely last night.  And it was actuall Joel
Vandroogenbroeck, the Belgian (?) dude who founded the nomadic
group Brainticket.  So while he was in Switzerland, apparently Giger
got him involved in this soundtrack, but it's not clear who the
actual full lineup of musicians was...I'll look into that now, as
maybe if the thing's out on DVD, I might track it down.

And it's actually spelled Necronomicon, which helps to actually get
some hits when using a search engine.  :)  And it's some strange old
mythical writing from some Arabic land...sort of the Mid-east Book
of the Dead or something?  And according to Giger's book, one
recounting of the essence of the original was done by JP Lovecraft.
Is that the same person as HP Lovecraft, but with a "German" form
of his first name, or a relative, or what?  Don't know anything much
about Lovecraft, to be honest.  Not even the band.  BTW, HR is for
Hansruedi, which can (sometimes I guess?) be written as two names,
and is quite common here in these parts.  And yes, in fact, Giger
grew up in Graubunden, the southeast canton famous for resorts like
Davos and St. Moritz.  I guess the museum is in Gruyeres just because
tourists go there anyway, and because the building was for sale.  ?

Grakkl (FAA)

P.S.  And now a further websearch brings me to this interesting item,
that I *should* have known about already, since I've long been in
regular contact with the GoD label, but yet oddly being so close to the
label's headquaters has actually made me of little use to them.  So
I'm not up on every new issue of theirs...

>Drum Circus - Magic Theater
>CD, Garden Of Delights label remaster of Swiss act's unreleased '72
>recording, featuring Joel Vandroogenbroeck (pre-Brainticket) & Peter
>Giger, very psychedelic like Brainticket, but more jazzy...

*Peter* Giger...hmmm...didn't seem like he would have had a son
old enough to be doing this.  His first wife/SO shot herself before
they had children, I think I read.  But maybe he just didn't mention
the son, I dunno.  Anyway, this is also with Vand...so can't be a
total coincidence.

P.P.S.  The one tower of the Gruyeres castle still *does* have a large
exhibit of very cool modern abstract art, though I think maybe it's
from a different guy.  I took some photos of some of his work, and
was going to buy a poster, but they didn't have the particular one
that I liked best, which is always a bit disappointing.

P.P.P.S.  I don't understand why sometimes 'umlauts' don't come through
the e-mailing process (as in my very last post), even when I change over
to "Rich Text" format (which often works, but why not always?).  Komisch.