BOC/OFF: Jams kicked out, and the sky is falling

Jason Scruton js3619 at ACMENET.NET
Tue Apr 6 15:57:57 EDT 2004

Thunder Express, perhaps?

If so, it's worh getting... fairly clear sound from a french TV broadcast,
but without MicaelDavis on Bass (bass sound is very non-existent throughout
the release though).  Has a few rarities, Thunder Express, for one. Very
Chuck Berry.  and Their cover "Empty Hearts" by the Stones, garnished with
lovely guitar jamming (ditto for the 5 staple, rama lama fa fa fa). Its
also nice becuause you can understand all the words to motor city's burning.

Yes, there is an good online guide.
Don't have a usable netbrowser right now  to find it, but
look for "MC5 Gateway"
go to albums, and there's an article by i94 bar mainstay Ken Shimamoto
which tries to sepearte the wheat from the chaff, live release-wise.

I have a bunch (all but one, technically) of the Alive/Total-Energy series
of discs of the 5's live and "other" work. Sound quality on those range
from subterranean murk to not too shabby. IN order of my preference of the
discs,
"Power Trip" (for a 25 minute band/guitar jam), Maddest Baddest (a best of)
(has "I believe to my soul" and selects judiciously from the other totalE
releases), TeenAge Lust, then Starship -- two live relases with some really
bad soundquality more fost of the discs, but a lot of enthusiasm in playing.

Hope that helps!
Jason