HW: Tour Shirts

Tom Clark tclark at COX-INTERNET.COM
Fri Apr 23 00:24:23 EDT 2004

Looking for a intellectual conversation about Hawkwind...and high falootin'
commentary?   Then do not read on......

The T-short looks like a "mockery" to me.  Just my two or three cents or
pence worth...is it some more of self parody of past accomplishments?

C'mon guys....Kinda reminds me of compilation albums...or is that  T-shirt's
design a takeoff of tthe album's "Sonic Attack".

I quite enjoy Hawkwind music, for my own reason's, which I would like to
think that was what the intention of making that music was to begin
with...and share that state of mindset....though it happened to me
personally with the past music, present, and sometimes in-between, and then
again, sometimes not at all, having felt the reprocussions of having
purchases repackaged music of various qualities.

But in respect of it all, the uniqueness of Hawkwind music did shape my life
in a profound way.   But there is always a "but"....and I will so ramble
on....

Speakling of retrospect and contradictions....and to be very contradictory,
I have to say, that I enjoyed Nik's show last year in Philadelphia.  It was
true to form.  He did not attempt to commercialize and sell T-Shirts that
aggrandized Hawkwind's past.   That bought my respect, as I stood
practically alone mid floor with a grin from ear to ear while his backing
band quite faithfully recreated teh sounds of his earlier HW music..  The
music stood for itself, even for the three hours, which will never be
recreated again.   No"live" bootlegs.....no t-shirts..stickers.......just a
memory of an honest attempt at making the audience leave with a grin....and
that it did.

It was a joy.

Bottom line?  T-shirts do not speak for the music...even if retrospective.

Thought the "old" stands on it's own, where is the "new", if this is the
"Hawkwind" that is supposed to be, as opposed to the controversy that is
seen as Nik Turner going out and playing old Hawkwind songs........under a
name that at one time was similar to Hawkwind....oh...I think it was
"Ex-Hawkwind", which created bad feelings....

Whassupwith that?