HW: Tour Shirts

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Mon Apr 26 07:12:11 EDT 2004

Nick Medford writes:

> Emphatically agreed. Even so, we're still talking about the British tabloid
> press... you know how it goes- give-em-what they-want, keep-em-stupid, keep-
> em-docile... one of the very worst aspects of this country IMHO.

This crap always annoys me.  My parents read the tabloids.  people
reading tabloids are quite simply not so stupid that they can't see
through all the cant telling them how to vote.  That their choice of how
to be entertained doesn't match our own choices does not make them
stupid.

What I suspect is that people promulgating this excuse for a theory
really want us to think not that tabloid readers are stupid, but that
because they are not tabloid readers, and look down on them, they must
be incredibly clever.

This is not so dissimilar really to some of the music press dismissals
of Hawkwind fans or the disdain of some opera or classical music lovers
of the entirety of popular music.

> OK, so Mr Wright is apparently a nice bloke, and clearly he's a
> genuine HW fan, fair enough.  And HW's public profile is now very low,
> the cult following of the 70s and 80s having dwindled away to a large
> extent.  So HW basically need all the publicity they can get, and
> having a "celebrity fan" presents some opportunities for that.
> However- this overdone "Matthew Wright connection", and the way it's
> being milked, makes me cringe.

That's showbiz.

FoFP