HW: Tour Shirts

mark von bargen mark.von-bargen at O2.CO.UK
Mon Apr 26 16:44:01 EDT 2004

Mike Holmes and nick Medford wrote:
> Of course I don't imagine that everyone who reads the tabloids is stupid,
> any more than I imagine that everyone with a university education, say, is
> highly intelligent. I do however believe that the style and content of
mass
> media in general is very much geared to reinforcing and maintaining a
> particular social and cultural climate.

I reckon that's inevitable though. A tabloid newspaper is in essence a
mixture of gossip and entertainment and in order to sell, or even be
taken for free amongst those which get their revenue from advertising,
will have to reflect the tastes and interests of their readership. A
certain amount of cultural leading and even conciousness raising might
occasionally be possible, but mostly people just want to be entertained.
Newspapers are literall, disposable entertainment.

And then, sometimes, they just print outrageous lies because they think that
they can get away with it. Like the sun did about 15 years and one week ago.

Mark