HW: Portsmouth

David Greenhalgh greenhalgh.david at NTLWORLD.COM
Tue Apr 27 18:19:42 EDT 2004

As thunder crashed and lightening flashed around Portsmouth, and the
star warrior took time out from throwing shapes against the horizon to
bring his washing in and close the sunroof, it looked like it was going
to be a good night.

Not put off by the barman at the Pyramids ("Pint of Bitter, please."
"Sorry, sir. But we've got John Smith's." Close enough,) I could just
about hear Huw through the chatter of quite a lot of people who didn't
know who he was. He is looking better, as others have said and his
version of Hurry on Sundown was actually the best I've heard in a
while, even though the Dr Brown guys turned down the opportunity to
join him on stage.

The Hawkset was as previously advertised on the list, with all the
previously advertised "dodgy bits." Angela Android is not a set opener
IMHO. It takes Richard too long to get his voice going for this to be a
kick start to the night. By the end of Assault and Battery the "Aahs"
had more or less converged on a key and from then on the smoked. I have
to say that this was about the tightest I have ever seen the Hawks.
Maybe that is partly due to having so much pre-sequenced material it
was impossible to jam, but for whatever reason, they were more together
than I have seen for a long time.

Glossing over the techno bit, and the comment from the Hawkwind virgin
we went with ("Are they miming?") the trio incarnation seems to be
working, maybe I need to go to the fest in Germany...

Dave