OFF: Dodgy Vinyl

Mark Lee MLee at GROUPWISE.LINNEY.COM
Thu Apr 29 06:08:36 EDT 2004

Dudes,

Two things,  I use a Project turntable and a Marantz amp,
although the amp has phono inputs but instead I stick
the output through a dedicated phono amp (Project)
and run the output from that into my CD2 input stage
instead.  Most major manufacturers would probably
recommend the same kind of setup unless you have
'reference' quality amplification.

And secondly, I will be translating my signature into
Urdu, Svengali, Yiddish, Aramaic, Pidgeon, Gaelic
and French shortly in an attempt to hog as much
space as possible in every issue of the digest.....

Seriously though, I can't turn it off, it's appended
by the outbound server at my place of employ.

Date:    Wed, 28 Apr 2004 12:30:44 -0400
From:    Paul Mather <paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU>
Subject: Re: HW RE: off into dodgy vinyl ness

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 04:13:37PM -0400, Eric Siegerman wrote:

=> I take it your amp is too new to have a "phono" input?  Yes, you
=> can get a "phono preamp" to boost the turntable's outputs up to
=> the standard levels expected by amplifiers' "auxiliary" inputs,
=> computer sound cards, and other devices.  I've never used one, so
=> I can't make recommendations.

Isn't it also a very important function of the "phono" input of an
amplifier to correct for the RIAA equalisation present on vinyl
records?  Without that, the record will sound "wrong."

I believe "phono pre-amps" are to amplify the signal of low-output
phono cartridges.  A dim and distant memory tells me that moving-coil
cartridges (as opposed to moving magnet) tend to suffer more from this
problem.  (I could well have that backwards.:)  Because of this, phono
pre-amps may not do RIAA equalisation.

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
production
        --- Frank Vincent Zappa

------------------------------

A good first little test, but you need a larger signature/disclaimer.
Perhaps you could have it translated into several different languages
and appended? >;-)

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
production
        --- Frank Vincent Zappa

------------------------------

DISCLAIMER: Information contained in this email or any
attachment may be of a confidential nature which should not be disclosed
to, copied or used by anyone other than the addressee. If you
receive this email in error, please delete the email from
your computer. Internet communications are not secure and
therefore W & J Linney Limited and/or its associated companies
does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this
message. Although the W & J Linney Group operates anti-virus
programmes, it does not accept responsibility for any damage
whatsoever that is caused by viruses being passed. Any views
or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do
not necessarily represent those of the W & J Linney Group.
Replies to this email may be monitored by the W & J Linney
Group for operational or business reasons.