OFF: Email list vs. web forum (was Re: Hawkwind Mind Journey)

Arin Komins akomins at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Tue Aug 3 17:34:49 EDT 2004

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Eric Siegerman wrote:

:Subject: OFF: Email list vs. web forum (was Re: Hawkwind Mind Journey)
:
:> http://www.myphpbb.co.uk/phpbb/index.php?forum=Jademan
:
:Umm, my opinion is exactly the opposite of yours, I'm afraid.  I
:much MUCH *MUCH* prefer email lists over web forums!  With the
:latter, I have to periodically scan all the forums I'm interested
:in, one after another, to check for new messages.  That's a royal
:pain -- I want the messages to come to me!
:
:Funny, ISTR having just this discussion (except maybe it was
:BBS's vs. Usenet; same difference [sic]) over coffee at a Quality
:Inn in London, when we were all there for HawXMas in 2000.
:<waves at Arin>

<waves back>

For my part, I just wish the repository was distinguished from the
presentation medium, so that folks could use whatever client they liked
;-)

(email, news, web, etc.)

Eh, 'til then I vastly prefer email over web forums, as I've yet to meet a
web forum I didn't find horribly annoying or terribly insecure ;-)

(of course, I also wouldn't mind a nice nntp gateway either, but I'm not
so bothered that I'm about to write one ;-) )

...and yeah, we did have this conversation already :-)

Arin
Arin Komins                                   akomins at uchicago.edu
Manager of Web Systems Architecture
University of Chicago/NSIT/ENSS                 tel: (773)834-4087
1155 E. 60th St. #418    Chicago, IL 60637      fax: (773)702-0559