OFF: Email list vs. web forum (was Re: Hawkwind Mind Journey)

Arin Komins akomins at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Wed Aug 4 09:33:25 EDT 2004

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Paul Mather wrote:

:Subject: Re: OFF: Email list vs. web forum (was Re: Hawkwind Mind Journey)
:
:On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 17:34, Arin Komins wrote:
:
:> (of course, I also wouldn't mind a nice nntp gateway either, but I'm not
:> so bothered that I'm about to write one ;-) )
:
:(On, e.g., FreeBSD:)
:
:cd /usr/ports/mail/lmtp2nntp
:make install clean
:
:Voila!
:
:Alternatively:
:
:cd /usr/ports/news/p5-Gateway/
:make install clean
:[[Use News::Gateway Perl module...]]
:
:Again, Voila!
:
::-)
:
:Personally, I despise mail->news gateways, at least unsanctioned or
:unknown ones.
:

Thanks for the pointers!  I've not looked in the last couple of years, so
didn't realize someone had put them together ;-)

I like the news interface, on occasion.  I'd never actually propogate
list to Usenet.

Arin
(although I hear mutt might have a decent threading interface for email,
so I should probably investigate that first ;-) )
Arin Komins                                   akomins at uchicago.edu
Manager of Web Systems Architecture
University of Chicago/NSIT/ENSS                 tel: (773)834-4087
1155 E. 60th St. #418    Chicago, IL 60637      fax: (773)702-0559