OFF: Rush - the people's choice

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Wed Aug 11 04:43:58 EDT 2004

Cyberkrel wrote:
> Agree about Floyd - surely I can't be the only one who thinks DSOTM these
> days sounds lifeless and plodding.

Eh, I always though Floyd got a bit like that.  Even as an
impressionable teenager, I thought: "People who take that many drugs and
  still sound that miserable are clearly taking the wrong drugs!"
Still, I can appreciate the technical recording acheivement of DSotM at
the time, and there are some good bits: every once in a while, a burst
of fab Gilmour guitar or something pierces the clouds and make you
realize a) that's what you had been waiting for, and b) it was all a bit
dreary while you had been waiting ;)

> As to the Hawks, most albums still sound surprisingly contemporary.

Though I'd also argue that there's maybe a single CD's worth of
genuinely excellent HW material since after CotBS.  OK, leave room for a
few obligatory tracks of weird noises (there have always been a few of
those, so it's fair), and maybe a double disk.  Still that's better than
Floyd's done :)  Or BOC, for that matter if we discount _Imaginos_
(which technically came out after CotBS).

I recognize that mileage varies, of course :)

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson