OFF: Motorhead (was Re: OFF: Rush and stuff plus a little Hawk.)

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Wed Aug 11 06:41:31 EDT 2004

Mark Lee wrote:
> As for Motorhead, well I must admit
> to not having kept up with the Lemsters output for several years,
> never
> stopped playing the old stuff tho - No Sleep, Iron Fist yadda yadda.
> Seeing the comments in some of the posts makes me suspect I've been
> missing out, must check the discography and see what I'm missing,
> anyone care to make recommendations ? (That's opened a can of worms)

Having only encountered Motorhead properly in university (some 10 or so
years ago now), I am a staunch believer in the "latter day" Motorhead
albums.  IMO, most of the recent output is as good as if not often
better than the "classic" stuff.  I'll take _Sacrifice_ over _Iron Fist_
anyday!

I'll admit to not yet having _Inferno_ or _Hammered_, but I've picked up
most of the others.  IMO, _1916_ has great songs, though the sound is a
bit on the thin side.  _Bastards_ and _Sacrifice_ sound much better (and
have good stuff, too).  _March or Die_ is a bit lame, IMO.  _Overnight
Sensation_ and _Snake Bite Love_ I think are great though.  And there's
solid stuff on _We Are Motorhead_, though I've never warmed to it as
much as the others (I thought the "God Save the Queen" Sex Pistols cover
was a bit cheezy and pointless).

And though even I would not stoop to such blasphemy as impuning _No
Sleep 'til Hammersmith_'s exalted status, I would say there's an
argument to be made that if you have only one Motorhead album, it should
possibly be _Everything Louder Than Everyone Else_ live one (from the
_Snake Bite Love_ tour), which has all the classics (old and new) played
great and sounding surprisingly well recorded.  In any case, it sounds
exactly like Motorhead :)

IMO, the weakest albums (though each having a few good tracks) I've
heard are _Iron Fist_, _Rock'n'Roll_, and _March or Die_, and everything
else has varying degrees of excellentness.  (And I'll pick up _Hammered_
and _Inferno_ eventually, no doubt about it!).

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson