Assault and Battery Live

Stephen Swann swann at CUGC.ORG
Mon Aug 16 11:43:22 EDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 12:34:43PM -0500, Rich wrote:
> The sound quality on the Griffin records USA release of Live Chronicles was
> far better than the original CD, and it had the Moorcock spoken word tracks
> restored to the LP as it should have originally been, plus a couple more
> tracks like 'Assault and Battery' which originally came as b sides on single
> releases/bonus tracks on the 'Chronicle of the Black Sword' Flicknife CD.
>
> Also the cover artwork is great :-)

I've got all 3 of the CD releases of Luive Chronicles.

1. Original 1-disk Castle release CCS CD 321
3. Griffin 2-CD release w/Moorcock tracks
3. Castle 2-CD set release CCS CD 829

#1 sounds very clear, but slightly thin/tinny/overly bright,
especially the synth washes.  I suspect it was created from
the master tapes meant to cut LPs with.

#2 is much better balanced, at the expense of not sounding
as clear.

#3 is basically #1 rebalanced to reign in the tinnyness with
serious amounts of bass and drum kick added.

Which one you will prefer the sound of is stricly a matter
of taste.  I personally #3.  Actually, I personally prefer
the sound of the LP, but I don't even have my turntable
hooked up anymore. so that's not an option.  :)

--
Steve Swann    | Speak to me in many voices, make
swann at cugc.org |     them all sound like one